Thursday, March 11, 2010

House for Rent

Actually, it's not. But here's the story...

The other day my doorbell rang at 7:30 am and it was the neighbor from down the street. She said she was looking for a place to rent in our town on Craigslist and found a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2600 square foot home for only $900 and month. She thought that sounded great and sent an email asking for more information. The response she got was from my husband's name and the property address was MY HOUSE! What???? And the email is hysterical. Here is an excerpt:


I want to let you know that money is not the issue but what we are after is absolute care for the house.Someone that will always keep our house clean. A good Tenant that have the fear of God. I am with the keys and the papers to the house.Please I want you to note that, I am a kind and honest Woman and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give to you for rent.

So I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as yours, I hope this is clear to you is not all about the money, but I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I get back. You can stay in the house for as long as 4years.. I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word. I would like to talk with you on phone. I await your mail so that i can send you a Rental Application Form. Email me so that we can talk better.

Thanks and may God bless you,
Brock

Of course, this was after asking for a $1600 check to cover the first month's rent and security deposit. And after he already identified himself in the first paragraph as someone with a wife and daughter that was relocated to Africa for his church. So Brock called the credit bureau and put fraud alert on our accounts (who knows what other information this guy has), we filed a complaint with Craigslist and called the local police. Any other advice?

Also, a woman came by about an hour ago to inquire about the ad she saw. She was devastated when I told her it was a fraud and not to send him any money. She said she almost sent a check because his emails talked about his church and being a man of God so she thought he was trustworthy. What a creep.

I am going to laugh if someone shows up with a Uhaul thinking they are moving in.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That is crazy! I love the description though, the repeated lines about him not after money are especially nice.

Shauna said...

My favorite part is the e-mail says they are a kind and honest woman and sign their name Brock. I hope no woman in this world is named Brock. If someone is, then maybe they should think about a name change. Lol. I am glad God has a special place for liars. Have a happy day!

Gardner3 said...

OMG.....how weird. You should reply to the add to see if you can rent your own house!

Rachel Powell said...

Ummm, that happened to me when I was looking for a new place to live. SAME EXACT WORDING except his name was not Brock. It was John or soemthing. Me and Jake CRACKED up at the email response...the grammar, the talk of God, etc. Good times. What idiot falls for that?

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA THAT IS WERID! Sooo... I read it and saw it was SUPPOSADLY Brock and it said about them being a WOMEN! Hilarious!

Terri said...

I came across several ads like this when I was looking for a house to rent in Tucson. I guess they got Brock's name from public property records. That is crazy!