We had a great Christmas. My sister Jessica and her family stayed with us for a few nights on the way to her in-laws. It was a house full of kids, but we had a great time.
My parents came from California on the 22nd and were a huge help. My mom is probably going to stop coming because I always ask her for help in the kitchen which basically means I watch while she does everything. You don't get to be a 33 year-old that doesn't cook, sew or do anything crafty/domestic without trying. The first day she was here, she and Taylor made lots of yummy sugar cookies (my favorite) which we gave out to some friends and neighbors. Taylor brought some to her best friend Mason and Brady made the last minute decision to give some to a girl from school. I guess it was a sight to see Brady walk up to Emma's door at 8:30 at night and hand her the cookies. I wasn't there but Brock said the exchange was priceless. Oh, young love!
Christmas Eve we had a yummy prime rib dinner courtesy of my dad, which is what we always had growing up. It is fun to continue on with traditions. Another thing my dad did was a twelve days of Christmas treasure hunt for my kids. I LOVED this as a kid. It was always fun to find the treasure when I was a kid and now that I am older it is funny to read the random clues that my dad makes up. No wonder we could never find them, the clues don't make any sense (am I right sisters?)! Christmas morning was lots of present-opening, phone calls to sisters, playing with new toys and yummy dinner and games at the Rolph's house.
On Sunday the 28th we blessed Avery and it was great to have my dad here. Remember my earlier post about how Avery cries a lot? Well, she cried through her entire blessing which my other kids found hysterical. So between Avery crying in the microphone and Brady and Taylor giggling in my ears I didn't hear a word of it. Apparently it was sweet. Something about being healthy, following mom's example, something, something? A lady in the ward said she wrote it down and will type it up for me. Later that evening we had some friends over for pie (which my mom made of course), ice cream and hot cocoa floats.
My parents left on the 30th, we rang in the New Year with some good friends and now it is 2009. There, don't you feel all caught up? Oh wait, one more thing. Brock is starting a new job next week. He is out of the Air Force and was able to find a job that lets us stay put for the time being. I am proud of him. He works hard to support our family and I know this transition could not have been easy for him. It is going to be weird to be a "civilian" again. Although we do have base access for a few more years--hello commissary!
Happy New Year Everyone!
3 comments:
So cute!! So fun to have the family around. Holy crap, I can't believe Jessica has 5 kids! I think 4 is it for me.
Congrats on the new job, Avery's baby blessing, and getting through the holidays without having to actually do any baking. (That's genius.) And you know mom loved it.
I am a little envious that you guys got Dad's 12 days of Christmas. (did you find one of the gifts "where dirty socks lay" ? Was there their yucky ribbon candy involved?) I'm still jealous.
And don't hate me, but in that last picture of you and Avery, I almost thought it was mom at first---I mean 30 years younger, of course. Which reminds me of the time a guy in my ward thought mom was me and said..... um, I just realized I shouldn't tell this story as a public blog comment. Later!
That picture of all the kids turned out surprisingly well, given that several of said children were uncooperative. I am talking about my stinkers.
Way to go having mom bake all the pies, I still don't really get pies.
Post a Comment